March 24, 2015

Learning Maya Part 1

During my time at SNHU, I learned to use a number of different programs including ZBrush, 3ds Max, CrazyBump, Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, and game engines like Unity, Unreal, and Construct 2 (though Unity 5 is my favorite). Despite all that, I wanted to add another tool to my arsenal so I am trying to pick up Maya as well.

Why Maya? Well, as an aspiring game artist, I am seeing a lot of job postings asking for knowledge of Maya and I can't help but wonder if my not knowing it is hurting my chances of getting a job in the industry. Another strong motivator is that Maya LT is now a thing so learning to use this tool could open up a number of freelance or indie options for me. The sword below is my first project in this program which was made by following a tutorial by this YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BrainPoof 



This isn't the most exciting or original design that I have worked on, but it's more of the new program that it was built in that I am happy about. Brain Poof's tutorials are some of the finest I have seen online and they seem to cover the complete game art pipeline within Maya including high res normal baking from the looks of what I have peeked ahead at.

At this point, I am only through the first 9 of some 40 + videos so I'm excited to continue this piece. I'm at the part where I have to unwrap it for texturing (which typically takes a while even in familiar programs) it so it may be a bit before this thing gets an update. There will be much more to come on this thing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment