April 7, 2015

2D Modular Environment

Since this project has been put on hold, I have decided to put up some of the images that I worked on for a side-scrolling adventure game. Our goal with the environments was to try and capture the level of detail seen in a Disney movie while still having the needed modularity of different. The result was hardly perfect, but this is also just the prototype for our concept.

Some of the More Notable Single Pieces

        


Some of the Larger Pieces:




Below you can see the various pieces all together in a visualization of the scene we hoped to create. You will noticed that some of the perspectives don't quite match up and there may be a couple of other things that do not look quite right. All that said, it's not a horrible environment and I learned a lot from painting the individual pieces.





Even if the project does not continue forward, I think I am pretty happy with this pass at creating a modular 2D environment that has a hand painted look. There is plenty that I can do better if I attempt to do this again, but this is a big step up from things that I did prior to this.

2 comments:

  1. You've really been making good progress in your art lately, Derek! The pine tree in particular is very well done. The green tree is a bit blurrier than the rest, but if it had the same brush strokes (even small details right on top of the leaves) like the trunk it would blend smoothly in. Great work! :D If you do continue with the project, keep shadows in mind for the combined product-- for instance, where is the sun hitting? The path would at least be partly shrouded by the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I like the pine too, I did it last so I think I had a better handle on things by then. Shadows were something we talked about and figured we would just wait till we compiled it in engine to see what ought to be done.

      Delete